Address: 5300 Gabrovo, St. St. Kiril and Metodii str.11
Phone: +359 66 809051
The beginning of Bulgarian puppet art was laid in Gabrovo by Neno Milchev Hristov /1861- 1916/. In 1956 a theatre troupe was created. Since February 1st 1963 it has existed as a professional group with independent status in ‘Aprilov- Palauzov’ Community Centre. Following a decision of the Council of Ministers from December 30th 1970, a State Puppet Theater was founded in Gabrovo. In 1979 the theatre came into possession of its own building which is the only one in Bulgaria designed and built as a puppet theatre.
For the time of its existence, Gabrovo Puppet Theatre established itself as the most authoritative specialized cultural institution for children on the territory of Central North Bulgaria. The artistic biography of the theatre is marked by certain remarkable achievements: more than 2 million spectators, more than 350 performances on Bulgarian and world literature and drama for children. Its performances have been watched by several generations of children viewers whose number exceeds 2 000 000. Its theatrical production is of high artistic level which is proved by the numerous awards from Bulgarian and international festivals - ‘Golden Dolphin’ - Varna, ‘Pierre’ - Stara Zagora, ‘Jan Bibiyan’ - Silistra, ‘Magical Curtain’ - Targovishte, ‘Puppet Fair’ - Sofia, Lodz, Ceske Budejovice, Novi Sad, Alma Ata and many others…
The theatre was awarded the Order of ‘Cyril and Methodius’ 1st degree. Its stage has been preferred for tours by many foreign groups from Germany, Switzerland, Russia, Serbia, Czech Republic and others. Active cultural exchange is maintained between these groups and Gabrovo Puppet Theatre.